The City of Sweeny Animal Control Services are provided through the Public Works Department and through the Police Department. City Ordinance No. 103-87, passed in 1987, established the rules and regulations concerning the keeping of animals within the City of Sweeny. The ordinance also provides for the following:
- Definition of Animal and Other Terms
- Provides for Impoundment
- Provides for Fees and Charges
- Prohibits Nuisances
- Prohibits the Keeping of Certain Animals within the City
- Regulates the Keeping of Livestock, Fowl, and Rabbits
- Requires Sanitary Conditions to be Maintained
- Provides for the Disposition of Impounded Animals
- Provides for the Quarantine of Animals
- Provides a Penalty for Non-Compliance and Other Violations
On June 18, 2002, City Ordinance No. 101-02 was passed which amended he definition of “Running at Large” and fines associated with “Running at Large” violations.
On March 20, 2018, City Council approved a measure to discontinue assisting residents with the trapping of animals (cats, raccoons, opossums, etc.). This includes the issuing of traps as well as picking up animals trapped by residents by their own devices/traps. Residents are advised to release trapped animals themselves or to contact a pest control company for assistance.